What to Expect on Test Day
The following information will help you understand test center guidelines, policies and procedures.
* Test center administrators cannot make schedule changes.
* Friends or relatives are not allowed in the test center during the test.
* You should dress comfortably for any room temperature.
* You are required to write (not print) and sign a confidentiality statement at the test center. You cannot test without it. Your fees will NOT be refunded.
* Your picture will be taken and placed at your assigned station and on your score report.
* Scratch paper is provided and must be returned at the end of the session.
* Raise your hand if you need assistance or have a problem with your computer.
* Testing premises are subject to videotaping.
* Admittance to the test center does not mean that your ID is valid or that your scores will be reported.
* All cases of questionable ID are subject to review and approval by the ETS Office of Testing Integrity.
How to Earn a Score on the Test
* You must answer at least 1 question in each Reading and Listening section, write at least 1 essay, and complete at least 1 Speaking task to receive an official score report.
Identification documents are the only personal items allowed in the testing room. You cannot bring cell phones, PDAs, BlackBerry® devices or any other electronic or photographic equipment.
* You will receive instructions on where to put personal items.
* If you bring them into the testing room, they will be collected by test center staff.
* If you do not follow directions, you cannot take the test.
Any violation of this procedure may result in cancellation of your scores, dismissal by test center staff or banning from future testing. Test centers and ETS assume no responsibility for personal items or devices that you bring into the center.
Computer Keyboard Requirement
You will use a standard English-language (QWERTY) computer keyboard to take the TOEFL® iBT. Practice on this type of keyboard to prepare for the test.
The test administrator will assign you a seat.
* The TOEFL iBT takes about 4½ hours.
* You may pace yourself with your own watch, but the computer is the official timekeeper.
* Alarms on watches or other devices are not permitted.
* You will not be permitted to test beyond the time limit.
Taking a Break, Leaving Your Seat
* There is a mandatory 10-minute break midway through the test.
* If you take more than 10 minutes, you may be dismissed or your score may be canceled.
* Raise your hand if you need to leave your seat for any reason.
* If you must leave the room, you must show the administrator your identification document(s) before you leave and when you return.
* You cannot use your cell phone during the test or during breaks.